Let’s face it, we all desire a glowing, supple, and flawless complexion so we don’t have to fret about concealing any imperfections every morning. This is the reason we make constant efforts to achieve and maintain the skin of our dreams. However, unluckily, no matter how hard we try, none of us are immune to skin woes or conditions that can cause cell damage and make our skin appear dull, uneven, and unhealthy.
Hyperpigmentation is among the most dreaded and stubborn skin woes that can affect us, no matter your gender, age, ethnicity, or skin type. Hyperpigmentation can show up on your face in the form of melasma, freckles, liver spots, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, and sunspots. If you’re struggling with this skin condition and looking for the right ingredients to get rid of it, you’re at the right place!
What is Hyperpigmentation and What Causes it?
Let’s begin by understanding what hyperpigmentation is and what leads to its formation on the skin. This is a skin condition that is characterized as patchy and uneven skin that appears darker than the surrounding areas of the skin. Excessive production of melanin in the skin leads to the emergence of hyperpigmentation.
It’s imperative to know the cause behind hyperpigmentation on your skin to effectively treat and prevent it. There is a myriad of internal and external elements that can pave the way to the formation of uneven patches or pigmentation on the skin. Some of the most common reasons behind this annoying skin issue include genetics, sun damage, inadequate diet, hormonal fluctuations, improper skincare, and the natural process of aging.
Skincare Ingredients to Manage Hyperpigmentation
Fortunately, there isn’t a shortage of skincare products formulated with ingredients that target and treat skin discoloration or hyperpigmentation. To make the process of searching and selecting the right ingredients easier for you, we’ve listed some of the most touted and revered ingredients to help you fight hyperpigmentation. Let’s dive deeper into the magical properties of these skincare compounds!
- Vitamin C: This is one of the most widely used natural ingredients as a skin-repairing and brightening agent. Although our bodies produce it naturally, this does deplete over time due to various reasons. You can opt for a skincare formulation with the active forms of vitamin C to make up for the decrease in your skin. Vitamin C combats uneven skin tone by inhibiting the synthesis of melanocytes, the cells that give color to the skin. The potent antioxidant benefits of this compound helps to fight off oxidative damage, which is a major factor that causes hyperpigmentation.
- Retinol: The whole skincare world seems to be carried away with the praises of this skincare ingredient, and for the right reasons. The countless skin benefits of retinol have substantiated it for a lot more than an anti-acne treatment. Retinol does its work by accelerating cell turnover, helping to get rid of damaged skin cells faster. As a result, you’ll notice a brighter, smoother, and even-toned complexion underneath. This derivative of vitamin A is also an excellent solution for post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation.
- Glycolic Acid: You might be familiar with this ingredient as a chemical exfoliator that makes a great alternative to abrasive scrubs. Glycolic acid mainly comes from plant-based sources with high sugar content, such as pineapple and sugarcane. Its mechanism of action is similar to retinol. It also performs by speeding up the regeneration and renewal of skin cells, which sloughs away the damaged layer of the skin that gives the skin a dark and patchy look.
- Kojic Acid: It’s almost impossible not to mention kojic acid while discussing anti-inflammation skincare compounds. Kojic acid is procured during the fermentation of mushrooms, rice wine, or sake. It has long been used as a treatment for lightening dark spots and hyperpigmentation. Its mode of action involves suppressing and decreasing the activity of an amino acid (tyrosine) needed for the formation of melanin in the skin. The pigment-reducing and antioxidant actions of kojic acid are suitable for managing existing pigmentation and preventing it from occurring again. Kojic acid may work slower as compared to other pigment-lightening agents, but the outcome is worth the patience.
- Hydroquinone: Touted as the gold-standard treatment for hyperpigmentation, this powerful compound works to fade away dark spots, melasma, freckles, and other forms of skin discoloration effectively. It has been the first line of action to manage hyperpigmentation prescribed by dermatologists all around the world. Hydroquinone does wonders in a similar way as vitamin C. Both these skin-lightening ingredients act on tyrosinase enzyme and hinder its action, resulting in lower production of melanin.
- Alpha Arbutin: Alpha arbutin is known as the most gentle and safe anti-hyperpigmentation or brightening ingredient that’s commonly prescribed as a substitute for hydroquinone. While hydroquinone functions by destroying melanin-producing cells, alpha arbutin terminates the action of the enzyme (tyrosinase) that stimulates melanin production. This compound can be obtained from various natural sources, such as wheat, pear, mulberry, and bearberry.
- Niacinamide: Also referred to as niacin, this active form of vitamin B3 is also extensively added to skincare formulas aimed at reducing hyperpigmentation. You can select from a variety of serums, lotions, creams, and boosters to reap the pigmentation-reducing and nourishing properties of niacinamide. The topical application of niacinamide interrupts the process of storage and transfer of pigmentation by the pigment-generating cells (melanosomes) to other cells. This helps to minimize the appearance of uneven and dark areas on the skin.
Still not sure which ingredients will suit your skin and produce your desired results? Well, we’ve got you covered. Environ’s cutting-edge Focus Care Radiance+ Range is a comprehensive treatment option to help you fade away hyperpigmentation and achieve a radiant and plump complexion. The Focus Care Radiance+ Range is designed keeping in mind that you might need several ingredients to yield the outcome you’re striving for.
The Focus Care Radiance+ Range is based on a 3-step Mela-Smart System that consists of 4 advanced and powerful products that work in synergy to obstruct and slow down the six intricate steps involved in the appearance of hyperpigmentation. Each product in this specialized range offers distinct anti-hyperpigmentation benefits, making the range suitable for everyone.
The Bottom Line
Although we all dream of radiant, spotless, and healthy-looking skin, it may not be as simple as it sounds. Our skin comes in contact with countless harmful agents on a daily basis and may start looking discolored, patchy, and unattractive. It’s crucial to do thorough research and choose the right active compounds to preserve the skin’s optimal health and appearance. If you’re not sure about which ingredients to go for, Environ’s has made it convenient for you with their inventive Focus Care Radiance+ Range.
Need more help? Book in for your Skincare Consultation today and one of our qualified skincare therapists will get you started on your skincare journey!